Enter email to subscribe to Free Divorce Mini-Course

Further Resources

  1. Prenuptial Agreements - Marriage contract and cohabitation agreement information.
  2. Uncontested Divorce - Obtain an uncontested divorce or a separation agreement.
  3. Common Law Separation - Resource for common law couples
  4. French Site - French language family law web site.

Steps in a Litigated Divorce

If you and your spouse can’t agree on an issue arising out of the breakdown of your relationship, you’ll need to go to court - this is known as a “litigated divorce.”

Drafting the First Document
If you want a divorce, you or your lawyer must prepare a document that sets out your claim and provides supporting information to show that your claim is valid. This document is known as an “application for divorce” or a “petition for divorce.” This document is then taken to the court. The court assigns a file number to the document. This is known as "issuing" your application or petition for divorce.

Your application or petition for divorce must then be sent to your spouse. This is known as “serving” your spouse. Once your spouse has received your documents, he or she has 30 days to respond.

If your spouse does not respond to your application or petition for divorce, you have the right to proceed without any further notice to your spouse. However, normally a response is filed, and you have the right to reply to anything your spouse says.

First Appearance
The first event in a court case is called a "first appearance" at which time a court clerk or registrar (not a judge) will review what has been filed with the court to ensure that everything is in order. If you and your spouse have served and filed your material and nothing is out of order, a case conference date is scheduled.

Case Conference
A case conference is relatively informal, but it is held before a judge. Prior to the case conference, you must prepare a brief summarizing the issues in dispute, and what sort of resolution you are seeking.

At the case conference, the judge will not resolve any of the main issues in your cases. Rather, the judge will deal with procedural matters - matters such as financial disclosure, questioning, or the appointment of a child assessor.

If it makes sense, the judge will also try to use the opportunity to mediate the issues in your case, or to narrow them down. Often, the judge will give an opinion as to how he or she would decide the case. This can be a very powerful tool to settling your case early without further court proceedings.

A motion is a request for a temporary court order prior to the end of your case. As a legal case may last for a year or more, you may not be able to wait until your case is done for a court order.

For instance, you may have a clear entitlement to child support, but your spouse is not paying it. You can’t afford to wait for a year or more until you receive the child support. In that case, you can bring a motion and ask the court for temporary child support until your case is finished.

Continued at Steps in a Litigated Divorce.
Divorce and family law Web Directory