Enter email to subscribe to Free Divorce Mini-Course

Further Resources

  1. Prenuptial Agreements - Marriage contract and cohabitation agreement information.
  2. Uncontested Divorce - Obtain an uncontested divorce or a separation agreement.
  3. Common Law Separation - Resource for common law couples
  4. French Site - French language family law web site.

Life Insurance

Continued from Life Insurance

"How much life insurance do I need?"

This will obviously depend on how much child support and spousal support you are required to pay. It is normally a matter of negotiation - there are no guidelines in the law. Most family law lawyers have a life insurance calculator in which they can enter the amount of your child support and spousal support obligations, the ages of your children and spouse, and come up with a ballpark figure. If there is a serious dispute, it may be necessary to retain an actuary to calculate the appropriate amount.

"Can I designate my children as beneficiaries of my life insurance?"

Yes, but it is not a good idea. If you pass away before your children reach the age of majority, then the proceeds of your life insurance must be paid into court. This means that every time your children need funds from the proceeds, an application must be made to the court for the release of the funds. This can be a slow and expensive process.

"Should the non-paying spouse have life insurance?"

I think so, but the law on this issue of life insurance is not clear. The reality is that if the non-paying spouse passes away, the paying spouse will still need to raise their children, which is expensive.

"What items about life insurance should be in my divorce settlement?"

In your divorce settlement, you want to make sure that if you are the person who benefits from the life insurance, then you have the right to communicate with the insurance company to ensure premiums are up to date, and perhaps even make contributions if your ex defaults on payment of the premiums.

Another common term in separation agreements is that if a person dies without the required life insurance policy in place, then his or her ex has a first charge on the estate for the amount of the policy.

You should also consider a mechanism for reducing the amount of life insurance over time. Obviously, the closer your children are to adulthood, or the older your ex gets, the smaller the amount of the policy needed. As well, once your support obligation ends, you should be free to designate another beneficiary.

You want to make sure that the beneficiary designation of your spouseís life insurance policy is irrevocable, so that it canít be changed later on without you knowing.

You want to make sure that you have the right to communicate with your spouseís life insurance company so that you can find out whether the policy is properly in place. You may even be able to get the company to notify you if a premium payment is missed.

If the life insurance is for the children, you may want to set out how the funds are to be used before the children finish their schooling, and what will happen to any funds left over after the children reach, for example, the age of 25 years.

If the life insurance has a cash surrender value, you want to include a clause in your separation agreement prohibiting borrowing against the cash surrender value.

Divorce and family law Web Directory